Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Willow Theatre

I used to work there as an usher. It was my job to go around and stop people from putting their feet up on the seat in from of them and to stop people from doing "nasty" things in the back row.

I can remember seeing the movie "High Society at least 6 times - with Bing Crosby. That should give you an idea of how long ago that was.

Mr. (Larry) Allen was the manager and projectionist. Marg Durham was the nice lady in the ticket booth. Ron Switzer, another usher, was one of the main guys to "show me the ropes". He gave me my first taste of hard liquor - Rye - from a little spice bottle he carried around in his
pocket..

John Downson and his brother Chuck also have worked there. I remember one night putting up the letters on the marquee and, for a joke, I started putting my own name up there for the upcoming attraction. As I was up on the ladder I got half way through S T R A T H ... and
heard Mr. Allens voice below say "That's nice, Russ. Now stop fooling around and put up what's supposed to be there" ... or words to that effect. He was a nice guy who never lost his cool.

I used to get to work there on my bike until someone stole it one evening. I told the police. Months later they called me to come into the cop shop on Yonge St. to claim it. Well, all that was left of "my" bike was the frame with the serial number stamped under the seat. The rest was all parts from other bikes. I was devastated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments