Search This Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Black & White Photos

Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:20 PM

Subject: Black & White Photos

Hi All,

I am sending along some black & white photos taken 1954-1956 time span. The pic of "Barbara" I am not sure of her last name. Do any of you know her?

Cheers

Bev (Fielding) Spencer

[To see all of Bev's pics, go to this page: http://rstrathdee.com/willow/photosHepburn2.htm - Russ]




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2011 3:52 PM
Subject: Circle M Photo

This photo was taken at the circle M Ranch riding stable in the summer of 1957, I have several others taken that day by Rick Carson? 
 
 
The people on the rail are Left to right Richard Dowson. Bono, Art Johnson John Dowson and his first wife Carol-Anne. Yes I remember that day well. On one of the other pictures taken on the same day has Rick in the picture.
 
If I recall it was early in August. I was in my fourth year apprenticeship for steamfitter and was playing in the clubs at night, with Vic Costantino, Ray Kushner and subbing on bass with Terry Roberts.
 
But I didn't quit my day job and finished my trade and wrote the exam in August 1958, and then I quit and traveled with Tommy Danton.
 
In fact at the time this photo was taken I was playing at The Horseshoe Tavern on Queen street with Terry Roberts when Richard visited us playing a saturday afternoon gig, and the guy next Richard at the bar drank a full bottle of beer at one go and fell right off the barstool.
 
-. John Dowson
 

1 comment:

  1. I have often wondered at the transformation of the Willowdale gang from having a western flavour. In the early 50's it was the western boots, jeans, western music then gradually things changed, strides appeared, straightlast shoes were the footwear of all hip young lads and the willowdale restaurant juke box had an eclectic mix of music, western and R&B. Once I got to be about 16 years of age strides were my everyday apparel and among our crowd the boots,jeans and cowboy music faded away and anybody still retaining this look were " square or farmers". I did not wear jeans again until the 1970's when denim became the fashion but without the stigma of being square. Its amazing how things re invents themselves.

    Dave D.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments